Request a Quote for Tour Packages
Your Name:
Mobile No:
Your E-Mail:
Enter your message here:
Enter code in the box right:

Holiday Destination: Conwy

Conwy is a walled market town and community in Conwy County Borough on the north coast of Wales. The town which faces Deganwy across the River Conwy, formerly lay in Gwynedd and prior to that in Caernarfonshire. It is a place in Wales where the old Welsh language can still be heard in widespread, casual and official usage. Conwy Castle and the town walls were built, on the instruction of Edward I of England, between 1283 and 1289, as part of his conquest of the principality of Wales. Conwy was the original site of Aberconwy Abbey, founded by Llywelyn the Great. Edward and his troops took over the abbey site and moved the monks down the Conwy valley to a new site at Maenan, establishing Maenan Abbey. The parish church still retains some parts of the original abbey church in the east and west walls. English settlers were given incentives to move to the walled garrison town, which for decades the Welsh were forbidden from entering. Across the estuary is Bodysgallen Hall, which incorporates a mediæval watchtower that was later used as a signal place for Conwy Castle. Conwy has other tourist attractions that help draw visitors to the town. Conwy Suspension Bridge, designed by Thomas Telford to replace the ferry, was completed in 1826 and spans the River Conwy next to the castle. Telford designed the bridge's supporting towers to match the castle's turrets. The bridge is now open to pedestrians only and, together with the toll keeper's house, is in the care of the National Trust.


Summer 13.3  °C (56 °F), Winter 3.1 °C (38 °F)

Tourist Season

Winter is best season for tourism in Conwy.



General Information Of Conwy

  • Land Area: 4 sq mi (8 km2)
  • Population: 14 Thousand.
  • Capital City: Conwy.
  • Language: English.

Tourist Attraction in or Near by Conwy

Conwy Castle and the bridges

Conwy Suspension Bridge, was one of the first road suspension bridges in the world. Located in the medieval town of Conwy in Conwy county borough, North Wales, it is now only passable on foot. The bridge is now in the care of the National Trust. Built by Thomas Telford, the bridge is a suspension bridge spanning the River Conwy next to Conwy Castle, a World Heritage Site. The bridge was completed in 1826 and replaced the ferry at the same point. Telford matched the bridge's supporting towers with the castle's turrets. It is in the same style as one of Telford's other bridges, the Menai Suspension Bridge crossing the Menai Strait. The Conwy bridge runs alongside the wrought iron tubular railway bridge built by Robert Stephenson. Until Stephenson's bridge was built, Telford's bridge was the only crossing of the river, and therefore the only way to get to the ferry that leaves for Ireland. Built into the rock on which Conwy Castle stands, it is very close to the castle and very small. Part of the castle had to be demolished during construction in order for the suspension cables to be anchored into the rock. The new bridge is not the main route across the River Conwy the crossing of the River Conwy has always been a problem and today the A55 road goes under the river by tunnel but is the major way across for local traffic.

Conwy Town Walls

Conwy's town walls are a medieval defensive structure around the town of Conwy in North Wales. The walls were constructed between 1283 and 1287 after the foundation of Conwy by Edward I, and were designed to form an integrated system of defence alongside Conwy Castle. The project was completed using large quantities of labourers brought in from England the cost of building the castle and walls together came to around £15,000, a huge sum for the period. The walls were slightly damaged during the rebellion of Owain Glyndwr in 1401, but political changes in the 16th century reduced the need to maintain such defences around the town. The fortifications were treated sympathetically during the development of the road and railway systems in Conwy during the 19th century and survived largely intact into the modern period. Today the walls form part of the UNESCO world heritage site administered by Cadw. Historians Oliver Creighton and Robert Higham describe the defences as one of the most impressive walled circuits in Europe.

Llandudno Museum

The museum has a collection of paintings and objects d’art from around the world, the Chardon Collection, including paintings by Francis E. Chardon. Archaeological items range from Neolithic, Bronze Age and Roman, with hands on material for children of all ages; displays on Llandudno’s fishing, farming and mining heritage in objects and a life size display of copper mining on the Orme. A reconstruction of a typical Welsh kitchen, war memorabilia covering the First and Second World Wars and the story of Llandudno as a resort is told through objects, models, photographs and other visual displays.

Bodnant Garden

Bodnant Garden is a National Trust property, in the county borough of Conwy, Wales. Bodnant Garden is situated above the River Conwy and overlooks the Conwy valley towards the Carneddau range of mountain. The garden, but not the House or other parts of the estate, was presented to the National Trust, with an endowment, in 1949. The House was the home of the late Lord Aberconway, and members of his family continue to be actively involved in the management of the garden, its tea pavilion and car parks on behalf of the National Trust.

Venue Cymru

Venue Cymru is a large arts venue in Llandudno, Conwy county borough, north Wales, incorporating a 1,500 seat theatre, restaurant, conference centre and arena. The venue was previously known as the North Wales Theatre and the North Wales Conference Centre. The building was only intended to be a temporary structure but became a landmark on the promenade for over 100 years. It changed its name several times, firstly to Rivière's Concert Hall, then in 1900 it became the Llandudno Opera House and the venue for the Carl Rosa Opera Company. Later it was called the Hippodrome.

Conwy Falls

Conwy Falls is a waterfall on the River Conwy at Bro Garmon in Conwy County Borough in Wales. The falls and surrounding area are a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The nearby cafe, adjacent to the A5, is an interesting example of the work of the Welsh architect Clough Williams Ellis, of Portmeirion fame. The falls are accessible via natural paths through the preserved woodland of the SSSI. There are 32 species of birds, polecats and other wild animals in the woodlands.


Bus Terminal

Conwy, Town Ditch Q (NE-bound)

A547 Castel Street
Conwy, UK

Conwy, Town Ditch Q (NE-bound)

Town Ditch Road
Conwy, UK

Weymouth Ferry Terminal

Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Railway Stations

Conwy, Conwy Railway Station (M) (NW-bound)

Rose Hill Street
Conwy, UK

Llandudno, Llandudno Railway Station H (NW-bound)

Conwy, UK

Write Review
Your Name:

Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!

Rating: Bad            Good

Enter the code in the box below: